Friday, October 12, 2012

Shishi on a tree-tree Poll

Peeing is something we all have to do, so let's be honest and open about it, shall we?
I've been in some very dire situations in my life where I've had to choose between peeing my pants, or squatting behind a building, with no one around. I've chosen the latter, to save myself from being in an even worse situation: having soiled pants and being out in public wearing them!

However, for the most part I try my hardest to find a toilet to use, whenever I can. I think the last time I had to find an alternative was when we were driving from Hilo to Kona and I just couldn't wait any longer. The bushes on the roadside were tall, and my bladder was full, and that's where it ended. Nobody saw me, and all was good.
My point to all this?
I have 3 boys who have to pee all the time when we're out in public places (or go shishi, as we say in Hawaii), and it's gotten to the point where I let them pee on nature wherever we go. I mean, who doesn't have to shishi when you go out? We all have to go! Though it seems my boys have to go constantly, and at variable times! It gets exhausting for me to have to haul everyone back and forth to restrooms, when there is a nice tree standing right there. Or bush, or patch of grass, or ditch full of weeds.......
I'd say 80% of the time we are out, I let them shi-shi on nature, the other 20% we go find a bathroom. My rule of thumb seems to be,"If there is a bathroom close by, use it. If there isn't, use a tree."

I feel good about this, but often wonder if I am being disillusioned by the fact that they are boys and it is too easy. I mean, what do people with little girls do? What if I am tricking myself into thinking this is normal and good, when everyone around me is disgusted and repulsed by our families peeing habits? I admit there are times I get embarrassed, like when Jonah dropped his pants right in the middle of everyone at Girls Camp and peed on the grass. Or when Zadok went shishi right in front of a tree at the park, next to picnickers enjoying an afternoon meal. I apologized profusely, and reminded them to go farther away from everyone else when they need to go.
So what do you think?
Do you get weirded out when you see little boys peeing outside, or do you think it's totally normal?

4 comments:

Amber said...

Okay, I'll admit it. Our backyard has a "pee tree" in it.

Katie Dienberg said...

It was all fine and good when my husband took him in the woods on a mountain bike trail. It turned a little sour when I caught him and the neighbor boy with their pants down peeing behind the garage. And even more sour the next day when not only the neighbor kid had his pants down, but my daughters both got involved. Unfortunately that was an embarrassing thing to explain to the neighbors. It is hard to teach kids where to draw the line, but ultimately if no one is around I'm okay with it.

Sallyseashell said...

You are both proibably right about keeping it at home. Having a special bush to pee on or "pee-pee tree" is fun for the family, but not so cool at the public park. I'm going to make a stronger effort to locate toilets, have boys pee ahead of time, and all that good stuff. I don't ant to be seen as the "gross people." lol

Rebekah said...

I have the girls pee outside when we can't find a bathroom, although I think it would be easier at times to just do it outside all the time...
But it is a little trickier with girls and I do have to help and they mostly pee on themselves a little. Oh well...
Oh, and we have a little potty in the backyard. It was for when Kiah was potty training, but now all the kids use it instead of coming in the house. They even know to empty it after. :)