Friday, January 16, 2015

No More Licking Rocks

Poison Control: Hello this is Mary at Poison Control, and  how can I help you?

Me (panicking): Well, my baby was sucking on a blue rock crystal and got the chemicals in his mouth and all over his face and hands.

Poison Control: What type of rock crystals are we talking about?

Me: It was from a "grow your own rock crystal set" that my older son had. He put the rock on the floor and the baby got it and starting sucking the crystals off, and now I'm really worried because when we were doing the project we had to wear goggles and gloves to keep the chemicals off of us , and now my baby has been sucking on it!

Poison Control: And how old is your baby?

Me: 6 months old

Poison Control: And his name?

Me: Malachi

Poison Control: Is he in general good health?

Me: Yes, he's very healthy in general.

Poison Control: Is he showing any signs of irritation or redness around his mouth? Has he been vomiting?

Me: No, he's actually happily playing right now and doesn't show any signs of irritation. No vomiting.

Poison Control: Has he been given anything to drink?

Me: No, I just washed the outsides of his face and hands to get the blue off. Should I?

Poison Control: Yes, it doesn't sound like he ingested very much of it, but it sounds like he may have received a small amount of chemicals in his mouth and throat so giving him a sip of water may help to relieve any irritation. It sounds like he's doing okay, but lets keep an eye on him for the next hour to make sure. I'll call back in an hour to check on him, okay? He's going to be allright, okay?

Me (calming down some): Okay, thank you so much. I'll look forward to your call in an hour. I mean, he seems like he's not bothered by it, and he's happy right now, so I suppose he'll probably be okay. 
But gosh, it must've been disgusting! I licked the rock to see what it tasted like and ewww! It was SO gross!

Poison Control: Ummm, you licked the rock ma'am?

Me: Yes, I licked it to see what it tasted like.

Poison Control: And how old are you ma'am?

Me: Thirty-five.....

Poison Control: And your name?

Me: Sally....

Poison Control: Are you in general good health?

Me: Ummm yes, but I"m fine. I was just seeing what it tasted like. I'm not calling for me. I'm fine. I am calling for the baby...

Poison Control: Are you showing any signs of irritation or redness around your mouth? Have you been vomiting?

Me (awkwardly): Um, no, I am fine. I swear I'm fine. I was just licking it to see what it tasted like.

Poison Control: Okay well, you may have received a small amount of trace chemicals in your mouth and throat so take a sip of water to help relieve any irritation. I'll call back in an hour to check on both of you, okay?

Me: Okay...

One hour Later: Ring-ring.

Me: Hello?

Poison Control: Hello this is Mary from Poison Control. I am calling to check on you and Malachi to make sure you're doing allright.

Me: The baby is doing fine. He hasn't shown any signs of irritation or illness.

Poison Control: Were you both able to take some sips of water?

Me: Yes, he took some sips of water and he's doing fine. We're both doing fine.

Poison Control: Okay great! Now keep in mind next time that if you suspect a possible poisoning, take caution not to ingest the same thing as your child. It wouldn't do either of you any good to both be sick at the same time. You need to stay healthy to take care of your child, allright? Let's not go licking any more rocks, allright?

Me (rather sheepishly): Yes, maa'm. Thank you. Goodbye.

Poison Control: Goodbye!

**And that was my lesson for the day.

4 comments:

pioneerfamily said...

Hee hee hee!! So funny!

Wendy Diehl said...

Hahahahaha! So awesome! And how old are you?

Wendy Diehl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie said...

I found your name again on my blog tonight and came over for a read. I'm so glad I did. What a joy. Pretty great story and I'm very glad both of you are well. :)